This is my first recipe using the instant pot, and it did not disappoint. It is my take on BBQ spare ribs with a Lao twist. I was genuinely shocked how flavorful it was, and it was fall apart delicious. It’s a quick recipe with an amazing outcome.
I’ve been obsessed with jeaw bong which is a Lao sweet and spicy dip typically eaten with sticky rice. My mom sent me batches of her homemade jeaw bong so I decide to be extra and smother it on my food. I tried a similar recipe on my Thanksgiving turkey and loved it so why not on my ribs?! Jeaw bong can take some time to make so grab a jar at your Lao restaurant, Lao aunt, or find some Lao company (I am familiar with Rice Girl Foods Jeaw bong) that sells it.
I bought a whole rack of ribs, and it was 5 pounds. You can either keep it together or make your life easier by cutting it. Keep all the bones and cartilage because it will help with the broth and the cartilage will soften up a lot.
Measure out all the ingredients to make the cooking process faster. I used Famous Dave’s BBQ sauce “Rich & Sassy” but you could use other BBQ sauce that you like.
Set the vinegar, water, and liquid smoke aside. In a medium size bowl, mix the fish sauce, black pepper, chili powder, jeaw bong, bbq sauce. Mix well. You can taste the sauce to see if you want to add more ingredients.
Thoroughly mix the sauce with the ribs. You can cook it right away or let it sit for an hour to have the flavors soak in even more.
Place the wire trivet rack in the instant pot and then add the water, vinegar, and liquid smoke. It may look like a small amount of liquid at first but more liquid will come out of the ribs during the cooking process.
Put all the ribs into the pot and close it. Press “pressure cook” and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. It may take 5-10 minutes for the pot to get the pressure up before the timer starts counting down.
When the pot beeps, allow the natural release for 10 minutes, then turn the valve to quick release. Carefully remove the ribs to a serving plate and lather more BBQ on them. Garnish with green onions. And save the broth (makes about 3 cups) to use for soup later! Share and enjoy!
PRINTER-FRIENDLY RECIPE CARD
Instant Pot Jeaw Bong BBQ Spare Ribs
- Instant Pot
- 5 lbs pork spare ribs
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup Mae Daeng’s jeaw bong other jeaw bong (Lao sweet and spicy dip) will work
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- garnish with green onions
- Cut ribs into segments.
- In a medium bowl, mix the fish sauce, black pepper, chili powder, jeaw bong, and BBQ sauce. Mix well.
- Rub the mixture all over the ribs.
- Place the wire trivet rack in the instant pot.
- Add the water, vinegar, and liquid smoke in the pot.
- Put the ribs into the pot.
- Press “pressure cook” and cook on high pressure for 35 mins.
- When the pot beeps, allow the natural release for 10 mins, then turn the valve to quick release.
- Carefully remove the ribs to a serving plate and lather more BBQ on them.
- Garnish with green onions.
- Make the broth into soup.