Laab diip raw beef salad is one of those childhood dishes that I always steered away from because it was scary to me as a kid. As an adult, I grew to love and cherish this dish. It is one of the essential Lao dishes that incorporates unique and delicious ingredients. The recipe looks easy, but the key to making this dish is sourcing and making the ingredients from scratch or finding the Lao aunty that has all these ingredients! Enjoy!
Laab Diip – Raw Beef Salad
- 7.5 oz filet mignon
- 1/2 cup tripe
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp padaek
- 1/2 tsp beef bile
- 1/2 tsp msg
- 2 tbsp toasted rice powder
- 1 tsp dried pepper
- 8 lime leaves, minced
- 1 tbsp galangal, minced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup mint, roughly chopped
- Roughly chop the beef and then the tripe and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the fish sauce, padaek, beef bile, msg, and mix.
- Add the toasted sticky rice powder, lime leaves, galangal, lime juice, and mix.
- Add the shallots, green onion, cilantro, mint, and gently mix.
- Adjust with more fish sauce as needed and eat it with fresh sticky rice.