Xiao Long Bao (Soup Dumpling)
An easy recipe on how to make soup dumplings.
Servings: 20 dumplings
- 150 g AP flour
- 75 ml hot water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pinch of salt
- 300 g ground pork
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 spring onion diced
- 200 g broth jelly
- 250 ml chicken broth
- 15 g flavorless gelatin powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Soy sauce
- Ginger thinly cut
- Place flour in a bowl. Add the oil then the hot water.
- Mix until it becomes a dough and knead until the dough is well mixed.
- Put a damp cloth on top and rest for 45 minutes.
- Mince the ginger and spring onion.
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients with the pork.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat up the chicken broth until it simmers. Broth can be bought or made from the khao piek broth.
- Mix gelatin powder and sugar then stir into simmering broth.
- Pour it in a bowl and refrigerate until it becomes a jelly. It will take about 1 hour.
- Dice it up and mix with the pork.
- Lightly flour the working table and roll out 6 gram balls and flatten them to 7cm discs. It will be very thin and try to keep the middle of the disk thicker than the outside.
- Put 16 grams of the ground pork mixture on the disks.
- Wrap the dough using pleats in one direction. The dominant hand will hold the pleats and stay in one place while the non-dominant hand turns the dumpling. There should be a small bellybutton looking hole near the end of the fold.
- Put it in a bamboo basket and steam for 6 minutes.
- Mix the vinegar and soy sauce together with thin slices of ginger and enjoy!