This is the broth I always make once a week to have it ready whenever I want to make any Lao stew, soup, or noodle dish. Its the foundation and you can always add more herbs afterwards with whatever dish you are making. Its delicious and very healthy!
Essential Lao Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp avocado oil vegetable or canola oil
- 3 shallots 1 yellow or white onion
- 1 lemongrass stalk smashed
- 3 slices of ginger smashed
- 6 garlic cloves smashed
- 12 cups water
- 3 lbs chicken bone and or thighs with skin
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- Heat large pot or Instant Pot IP (on sauté) then add halved shallots, lemongrass, ginger, and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the garlic is lightly golden.
- Add the water and chicken bones.
- Add the fish sauce and salt and mix
- Cook in IP on high pressure for 30 mins then 15 min natural release or in a regular pot on simmer with a lid for 1 hour.
- Strain broth.
- Let the broth come to room temperature, refrigerate over night, skim fat on top off, filter one more time, and you’re done!
- Use for various Lao soups and stews!
- If you are using a whole chicken, submerge the chicken and boil for 10 minutes. Dump out the water and continue with recipe above with number 4.
- I prefer a yellow onion in my broth but use what you have. Shallots are not as strong as a round onion but will do.