These Nutella sticky balls are made of sticky rice and filled with chocolate and delicious Nutella. This is a twist on the traditional sesame ball filled with yellow mung bean.
Nutella Sticky Balls
Shell (makes 12)
- 75 g mashed potato about 1/4 cup mashed
- 375 g glutinous rice flour
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup + 1/2 cup hot water
Nutella Filling (makes 12)
- 1/4 cup 60ml whole milk
- 3 oz 90g Dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup 100g Nutella spread
- 1 tablespoons 15g Butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Place heavy cream and butter in a small saucepan. Heat over low-medium heat, melt the butter and bring to a simmer.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate, let sit for 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Add the Nutella and stir again until incorporated and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in freezer for 30 minutes, until firm and scoop-able.
- Use a tablespoon or ice cream scoop to scoop and portion chocolate, roll with greased hands to form a ball. Roll in cocoa powder, chocolate sprinkles or any other topping.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Prepare the potato by peeling, cutting into 1 inch slices, then microwaving with lid on top for 4 minutes. Mash it until it’s a potato paste. Scoop out measured amount of potato into a bowl and add 3/4 cup water.
- Heat potato mixture in a pot and then add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and mix.
- In a separate bowl, add the rice flour, sugar, and salt then whisk.
- Add the hot potato water mixture to the flour and mix until it becomes a dough. The dough should be slightly wet and not dry. Add a tbsp of water as needed.
Making the balls
- Flatten the dough and add a Nutella ball filling.
- Close off the ball and roll it in your hand to create the perfect ball.
- If the ball is not wet enough, dab it with some water. In a bowl with sesame seeds, roll the bowl around and then roll it again in your hands to get the sesame to stick.
- Heat the oil to 325F and fry for about 15-20 minutes. After the balls float up, constantly rotating until golden brown.