Jeow mak len is a tomato dip you want to make ahead of time and always have on hand in your fridge because it pairs well with Lao food. I love making the dip with cherry tomatoes as it has the most umami. You can also increase or decrease the amount of peppers to your taste. It pairs well with any protein and freshly made sticky rice. Enjoy!
Jeow Mak Len | Lao Roasted Tomato Dip
- 25 cherry tomatoes
- 2 large shallots
- 1 garlic head 10 cloves
- 15 fresh bird eye chili peppers
- 1 pinch msg
- 1 tbsp padaek unfiltered fish sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 handful cilantro diced
- wash the tomatoes, peal the shallots, peppers, then dry
- In a large cooking tray, add the tomatoes, shallots cut in half, garlic, and peppers
- Air fry at 400F for 20 mins
- In a mortar and pestle, add the garlic and pepper then smash, add the shallots then smash, add the tomatoes then gently mash
- Add the MSG, padaek, fish sauce, and mix. Adjust to taste.
- Add diced cilantro and mix then serve