I’m sure you’ve had delicious pho from Vietnam, but have you had the neighboring noodle dish called pho Lao? Laos had adapted pho to its palette and now you can see it being sold on many street corners. It is known for its distinct addition of sugar, limited spices, and its endless condiments. Let’s get to know pho Lao.
- 3 lb oxtail
- 3 lb general beef bone
- 6 liters water
- 1 celery root
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 package ginger
- 1/3 cup star anise
- ½ tbsp msg
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp beef flavor paste
- 1 packet wet pho noodles
- 1 packet beef Meatball 15 balls
- 1 lb white stomach lining
- 1 lb thinly cut beef round eye
- Sriracha, hoisin, seasoning sauce, chili oil, garlic chili sauce, fried garlic, fried shallots, sugar, black pepper, shrimp paste
Garnish and condiments
- Celery, cilantro, mint, green onion, basil, bean sprout, lime, fresh bird eye chili, lettuce
- Place the bones in a large stock pot and then submerge with water. Heat the pot until boils then bring to a medium simmer for 15 minutes. Skim the top during the boiling process.
- Drain the the water and separate the bones. Wash the bones in cold water and place in strainer. Wash the stock pot.
- Cut celery root off, cut the onion in half, and cut the ginger with skin on in thin slices then crush. On a baking tray, place all the aromatics and drained bones and broil on 500 for 20 minutes.
- On a small pan, saute star anise for 2-3 minutes until fragrant
- Grab the stock pot, and add the bones, celery root, onion halves, ginger, toasted star anise, msg, salt, and sugar. Add 6 liters of water depending on the size of your pot. Mix then bring to a boil and lower to a gentle simmer with lid for the next 8 hours or overnight.
- Add fish sauce and beef seasoning paste and mix
- Thinly slice the beef round, cut beef balls, and cut tripe
- Rinse the noodles
- In a separate pot, heat water and cook noodles until wilted then cook tripe for a few minutes, and cook the sliced beef for a few seconds
- In a serving bowl, add the cooked noodles, cooked beef and tripe, add desired amount of broth, add condiments, then top with herbs.